EP 274: From Wall Street to Teaching 1 Million Followers About Financial Literacy with Vivian TuJun 03, 2022
Let’s face it: it’s hard to talk about money. We are so conditioned to think that bringing it up, even to family and friends, is tacky and rude that we’d rather not talk about it at all. However, what we need to realize now is that money is power! And avoiding the discussion only takes away our control over our finances and wealth.
In this episode, Vivian Tu joins Liz and Andresa to bring a fresh take on financial literacy. She discusses how open and honest conversations can help overcome our outdated mindsets about money. She also shares practical budgeting and money management strategies we can use to gain more confidence in our finances.
Vivian Tu aka @YourRichBFF is an ex-Wall Street Trader turned financial literacy creator. She didn’t like how the topic of finance only seem to cater to old, rich, and male audiences. Now, Vivian is on a mission to make money talk fun by blending topics like student debt and home-buying with anecdotes about celebs and funny stories. With over 1 million followers on TikTok, she aims to bring inclusive and easy-to-understand personal finance and investing content to women and underserved communities as well as to the next generation of BFFs.
• “Our financial services industry has largely served audiences that are male and pale, and unfortunately for women, for people of color, for marginalized communities, like the LGBTQ community, we haven't been given this education.” (9:52-10:05)
• “Not having those conversations puts us in a worse spot than if we were to able to benchmark ourselves essentially against our peers and get information and share that important knowledge." (10:26-10:27)
• “I actually prefer to deposit the majority of my paycheck into one account and then set aside money for savings that just automatically goes elsewhere. I don't even look at it. I pretend like it didn't come in. And then I never think about it again. But because I don't think about it, the number I see on my banking app is smaller. So I don't feel that false sense of comfort so that I go and spend frivolously.” (14:52-15:14)
• “We, as women have always been told, we are overspenders. We love to go on shopping sprees. We max out those credit cards and we have been told the way to create a surplus in the amount of money we have is to cut back. Don't buy that coffee. Don't buy that dress. Do nothing for yourself. Basically, be miserable. Whereas our male counterparts have been told to, you know, grow your wealth, invest, be an entrepreneur.” (19:33-19:56)
• “You can only save as much as you earn.” (20:21-20:23)
• “We love to read tabloids and talk about pop culture. Why can't talking about money be just like that?” (24:59-25:05)
Connect with Vivian:
Time: June 23-24
Place: Charlotte, NC
InvestHER CON is a full circle transformational experience created with the women investors’ needs, desires, and schedules in mind. The event brings top-notch experts in Real Estate Investing, Business Strategies, and Self-Care who will push the boundaries, expand the mindset, and promote deeper connections among the attendees. Learn from real teachers who will share actionable strategies so you can leave the event with the knowledge, connections, and confidence to grow your investing business and live life on your own terms.
Get your ticket today: https://www.therealestateinvesther.com/investhercon
How To Join the InvestHER Movement
1) The Real Estate InvestHER Podcast - The weekly show details the journey of some of the most amazing women real estate investors around the world, who open up their lives and share practical and strategic tools for growing a rental portfolio, flipping houses, and the mindset that allows them to run a successful investing business while taking care of their families and most importantly taking care of themselves. Subscribe via:
STRIVE is a one-of-a-kind membership for experienced women investors looking to make deeper connections and take their Real Estate business to the next level. It is more than a transactional membership, and it is a transformational experience for women looking to live life on their own terms.
Apply today. We open doors in June. https://www.therealestateinvesther.com/reserve
We have thousands of members in our Facebook InvestHER Community (and growing!) This is a safe place for women to ask real estate investing questions and gain the support they need to achieve their goals!
We have Investher Meetup members attending in-person meetings across the country and Canada. Meetups are being held monthly by experienced InvestHER Leaders! Learn more about our InvestHER leaders, meetup locations, and how to become an InvestHER Leader HERE!
Our mission is to empower women in Real Estate to live a financially free and balanced life, and we are extending our support to Real Estate agents worldwide.
We have created exclusive content and support for the InvestHER™ eXp Team:
*Top skills and strategies to grow YOUR business
*How to utilize your “real estate agent” advantage to become a real estate investor
*Monthly live masterminds
*Become part of Libertas Organization with top coaches, Tim and Julie Harris.
Take your business to the next level without losing your sanity!
Join STRIVE membership and get the support and accountability you need to take the next steps towards achieving your goals on your own terms