EP 278: Why Micromanaging Might Be Getting In Your Way of Growth with Tessa WhiteJun 17, 2022
As a leader, have you ever asked yourself if you are a micromanager? Many might justify such actions due to the lack of initiative or accountability from team members.
Finding the right person to the right seat is no easy task.
In this episode, Tessa White to further dive into what exactly a micromanager is. She gives actionable advice on how to recognize your management style and improve your leadership. She also emphasizes the importance of creating a safe space within the team in order to build trust and open communication and naturally develop accountability among your people.
Tessa White is a human resource expert with over 20 years of designing human capital strategies. She brings a level of creativity that has led her to some of the most innovative publicly traded companies today including Vivint Solar, which was recognized by Glassdoor as one of the Top 50 Companies to Work in the nation. A keynote speaker, she has taught over 10,000 people in industries from high tech to healthcare to direct sales and teaches people how to move from invisible to exceptional and become top-tier talent in the workplace.
Tessa is the founder of The Job Doctor, a company dedicated to moving employee performance from average to extraordinary, building strong company leaders with highly engaged employees. Her straight talk helps job seekers and employees excel in the workforce.
• “You’re micromanaging your team and what happens is you train your people slowly to do nothing except what you say to do because they don't like doing rework. So you train them to get instruction from you on every little step until, at one point, you shut down your team's creativity.” (10:37-:1056)
• “It's really hard as a manager not to redo something. So if you're redoing the entire approach, that's a problem. If you're asking someone clarifying questions about the approach just to make sure they thought it through, that's okay.”(16:30-16:45)
• “You need to treat other people that you work with as partners. View them as partners, not silos, not people who are getting in your way, but actual partners. And the way you change your language with them as a partner will affect the outcomes you get.” (21:51-22:07)
• “The next stage of growth in a career, you have to get comfortable with conflict.” (25:10-25:15)
• “It's very important… that people can trust that what you say is what you mean. And so then it gives you the freedom to share both good and negative feedback. It builds trust rather than breaks trust.” (27:01-27:14)
• “Learning to work on the right things and see what's broken and fix, it is probably the most valuable skillset anybody can bring to a business.”(37:32-37:41)
• “You got to align your people so they know what winning looks like. If they don't know what winning looks like, they're going to choose what they think winning looks like. And it might not be what winning looks like for you.” (41:25-41:25)
Connect with Tessa White
- How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job by Marshall Goldsmith and Sally Helgesen
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Time: June 23-24
Place: Charlotte, NC
InvestHER CON is a full circle transformational experience created with the women investors’ needs, desires, and schedules in mind. The event brings top-notch experts in Real Estate Investing, Business Strategies, and Self-Care who will push the boundaries, expand the mindset, and promote deeper connections among the attendees. Learn from real teachers who will share actionable strategies so you can leave the event with the knowledge, connections, and confidence to grow your investing business and live life on your own terms.
Get your ticket today: https://www.therealestateinvesther.com/investhercon
How To Join the InvestHER Movement
1) The Real Estate InvestHER Podcast - The weekly show details the journey of some of the most amazing women real estate investors around the world, who open up their lives and share practical and strategic tools for growing a rental portfolio, flipping houses, and the mindset that allows them to run a successful investing business while taking care of their families and most importantly taking care of themselves. Subscribe via:
STRIVE is a one-of-a-kind membership for experienced women investors looking to make deeper connections and take their Real Estate business to the next level. It is more than a transactional membership, and it is a transformational experience for women looking to live life on their own terms.
Apply today. We open doors in June. https://www.therealestateinvesther.com/reserve
We have thousands of members in our Facebook InvestHER Community (and growing!) This is a safe place for women to ask real estate investing questions and gain the support they need to achieve their goals!
We have Investher Meetup members attending in-person meetings across the country and Canada. Meetups are being held monthly by experienced InvestHER Leaders! Learn more about our InvestHER leaders, meetup locations, and how to become an InvestHER Leader HERE!
Our mission is to empower women in Real Estate to live a financially free and balanced life, and we are extending our support to Real Estate agents worldwide.
We have created exclusive content and support for the InvestHER™ eXp Team:
*Top skills and strategies to grow YOUR business
*How to utilize your “real estate agent” advantage to become a real estate investor
*Monthly live masterminds
*Become part of Libertas Organization with top coaches, Tim and Julie Harris.
Take your business to the next level without losing your sanity!
Join STRIVE membership and get the support and accountability you need to take the next steps towards achieving your goals on your own terms