EP 290 Adding Value: What Mistakes You Should AvoidJul 29, 2022
Whether you’re wanting to sell or just looking for an upgrade, there are so many ways you can do to increase the value of your property. But before going overboard and over budget with renovations, how can you make sure that you’re going to get the best ROI?
In this episode, Liz and Andresa welcome Liz Young. Coming from the commercial real estate tech industry, she believes in using the power of data to help homeowners make smarter home investments. She shares her expert insights on the dos and don’ts of home improvement projects, why it’s critical to understand zoning, and how you can build productive relationships with contractors.
Liz Young is a former real estate investor turned entrepreneur. In 2019, she founded Realm with the goal of giving homeowners the data-driven tools they need to be house rich, not house poor. Realm, a venture-backed startup, has raised nearly $20M to date and has helped over 50,000 homeowners get more value out of their houses.
• “Primary residences are the best way for people to ease into the world of real estate investing and get comfortable in a way that feels low risk because you're still living in the house.” (7:40-7:50)
“If you are taking the mindset of a real estate investor, you need to really start to think about not only what will I enjoy or what will make my life better, but also what will I recoup at the end of this?” (8:20-8:21)
• “Adding space, square feet, is, besides location, the biggest driver of home value throughout the US. (13:07-13:13)
• “Zoning is the world of exception handling. If you're able to identify those exception pockets, then you're able, even in a complex zoning municipality or town to still build the home you want.” (17:09-17:21)
• “If you're talking about your first investment, whether it's going to be your primary residence or your first multifamily, what is your advantage? Why are you going to be better at this than someone else?” (24:45-24:53)
• “You're going to learn the most from having a good relationship with professionals that will collaborate with you out of the gate.” (25:34-25:40)
Connect with Liz:
Download the Realm app here: https://realmhome.com/
How To Join the InvestHER Movement
1) InvestHER CON 2023
Meet Us in Arizona! | InvestHER CON 2023 Early Bird Tickets are available now!
The inaugural InvestHER CON was unforgettable.
We saw women freely raising their hands, asking questions, and going to the mic to share their thoughts; we saw women confidently speaking with sponsors, holding intimate conversations with each other, and connecting on a deeper level with themselves.
You laughed with us.
You cried with us.
You played in the arena with us.
And most of all, you inspired us!
We’re not stopping there. We’re thrilled to announce that InvestHER CON will be returning in May 2023, at a venue in sunny Arizona!
Early bird tickets are available now:
2) The Real Estate InvestHER Podcast - The weekly show details the journey of some of the most amazing women real estate investors around the world, who open up their lives and share practical and strategic tools for growing a rental portfolio, flipping houses, and the mindset that allows them to run a successful investing business while taking care of their families and most importantly taking care of themselves. Subscribe via:
STRIVE is a one-of-a-kind membership for experienced women investors looking to make deeper connections and take their Real Estate business to the next level. It is more than a transactional membership, and it is a transformational experience for women looking to live life on their own terms.
We have thousands of members in our Facebook InvestHER Community (and growing!) This is a safe place for women to ask real estate investing questions and gain the support they need to achieve their goals!
We have Investher Meetup members attending in-person meetings across the country and Canada. Meetups are being held monthly by experienced InvestHER Leaders! Learn more about our InvestHER leaders, meetup locations, and how to become an InvestHER Leader HERE!
Our mission is to empower women in Real Estate to live a financially free and balanced life, and we are extending our support to Real Estate agents worldwide.
We have created exclusive content and support for the InvestHER™ eXp Team:
*Top skills and strategies to grow YOUR business
*How to utilize your “real estate agent” advantage to become a real estate investor
*Monthly live masterminds
*Become part of Libertas Organization with top coaches, Tim and Julie Harris.
Take your business to the next level without losing your sanity!
Join STRIVE membership and get the support and accountability you need to take the next steps towards achieving your goals on your own terms