EP 308: How to Trust Yourself to Find the Right Deals and PeopleSep 30, 2022
As entrepreneurs and leaders, we make a lot of decisions. Doubt has no place in our day and second-guessing will only stop us from growing.
Here to talk about building confidence in decision-making and taking the next steps is Deborah Smith, Co-Founder and Principal of The CenterCap Group, LLC. We hear about her unique approach to business: setting short-term goals and course-correcting along the way. Whether it’s hiring or finding deals, it all comes down to following our instincts to go for it and having enough trust in ourselves to know that we can pivot if something goes wrong. She also touches on the active adult community and why there’s a rising demand in the space.
Deborah heads the firm’s Strategic Capital and M&A and Execution efforts. Prior to forming The CenterCap Group, LLC, Deborah was Co-Head of M&A and a Senior Managing Director with CB Richard Ellis Investors (CB Richard Ellis's $40 billion AUM investment management business). She joined CBREI in July 2007 to co-head the build-out of the firm's M&A efforts and led the firm’s negotiation and acquisition of a majority interest in Wood Partners (one of the largest multifamily developers in the United States) in 2008. From 1998-2007, she worked on mergers and acquisitions with Lehman Brothers, Wachovia Securities, and Morgan Stanley. She has been involved in more than $100 billion of mergers, acquisitions, and restructuring transactions. Deborah has a Bachelor of Economics, with honors, and a Bachelor of Law, with honors, from the University of Sydney.
• “If you plan long-term, you miss all the amazing opportunities that come along the way.” (6:27-6:33)
• “You can learn something new from every person. No matter who you meet, doesn't have to be related. They've got something that I don't know and I'd love to learn what that is.” (15:13-15:23)
• “ I don't sweat the small stuff. You win some, you lose some. And there are opportunities we lose and there are deals we miss, and I can't worry about that.” (24:18-24:28)
• “I'm well-known for saying multiple times, ‘Why are we still talking about this? It's over. It's done.’" (24:57-25:03)
• “If you can find a partner that you have that level of trust with, don't ever take it for granted. You hold onto that because it can make the difference.” (28:11-28:20)
• “Releasing them is really putting them in position and empowering them to go somewhere where they fit.” (35:38-35:43)
Connect with Deborah:
Missed InvestHER CON 2022 or just want to relive the experience? Don’t worry! Get instant access to the InvestHER CON 2022 recordings and enjoy tons of transformational sessions with incredible women investors!
How To Join the InvestHER Movement
1) InvestHER CON 2023
Meet Us in Arizona! | InvestHER CON 2023 Early Bird Tickets are available now!
The inaugural InvestHER CON was unforgettable.
We saw women freely raising their hands, asking questions, and going to the mic to share their thoughts; we saw women confidently speaking with sponsors, holding intimate conversations with each other, and connecting on a deeper level with themselves.
You laughed with us.
You cried with us.
You played in the arena with us.
And most of all, you inspired us!
We’re not stopping there. We’re thrilled to announce that InvestHER CON will be returning in May 2023, at a venue in sunny Arizona!
Early bird tickets are available now:
2) The Real Estate InvestHER Podcast - The weekly show details the journey of some of the most amazing women real estate investors around the world, who open up their lives and share practical and strategic tools for growing a rental portfolio, flipping houses, and the mindset that allows them to run a successful investing business while taking care of their families and most importantly taking care of themselves. Subscribe via:
STRIVE is a one-of-a-kind membership for experienced women investors looking to make deeper connections and take their Real Estate business to the next level. It is more than a transactional membership, and it is a transformational experience for women looking to live life on their own terms.
We have thousands of members in our Facebook InvestHER Community (and growing!) This is a safe place for women to ask real estate investing questions and gain the support they need to achieve their goals!
We have Investher Meetup members attending in-person meetings across the country and Canada. Meetups are being held monthly by experienced InvestHER Leaders! Learn more about our InvestHER leaders, meetup locations, and how to become an InvestHER Leader HERE!
Our mission is to empower women in Real Estate to live a financially free and balanced life, and we are extending our support to Real Estate agents worldwide.
We have created exclusive content and support for the InvestHER™ eXp Team:
*Top skills and strategies to grow YOUR business
*How to utilize your “real estate agent” advantage to become a real estate investor
*Monthly live masterminds
*Become part of Libertas Organization with top coaches, Tim and Julie Harris.
Take your business to the next level without losing your sanity!
Join STRIVE membership and get the support and accountability you need to take the next steps towards achieving your goals on your own terms